Demosaicing the Fuji X-Pro1 Part 4 | ChromaSoft

Well, I wasn’t expecting to come back to the topic of Fuji, the X-Pro1 and its X-Trans sensor. However, I have been putting a lot of work into the suppression of artifacts when demosaicing. A lot more work than I had intended to, but that’s another story. This is for a new product that I hope to release in a few weeks time (several months later than I’d hoped). But I did stumble into a better understanding of the nature of the chroma smearing (or watercolor effect, as it has also become known). The previous posts about Demosaicing the Fuji X-Pro1 are here, here and here. In previous posts, I compared renderings from Adobe Camera Raw, SILKYPIX and Fuji’s in-camera JPEG processing, as well as DCRAW and RPP. Finally, I compared those renderings to renderings from PhotoRaw, both in its „retail“ configuration, and in modified form with post demosiac filtering. Practically, DCRAW and RPP were pretty much outclassed — they use VNG algorithms that generate substantial zipper effects. In post three, I hypothesized that the chroma smearing effect that you see very visibly in the ACR conversion, and to a lesser extent in the SILKYPIX conversion, was due to filtering, possibly mean filtering post demosaic. I now think that I was probably wrong, or at least partially wrong – the effect is due to filtering, but not mean filtering post demosaic. Rather, it’s as a result of filtering during the demosaic process itself…..

Part1 Part2 Part3

See more on

Schreibe einen Kommentar

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert.